Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Library Thing Redux

Apparently I'm something of a joiner these days. Virtually, anyway. I have just joined the LibraryThing group, "Read YA Lit." (It's over here if you're interested...http://www.librarything.com/groups/readyalit.) They were discussing a book a month through August and while discussion seems to have gone on hiatus, there're some fantastic recommendations of overlooked titles and whatnot flying back and forth. Not that I'm a fan of YA lit or anything...

Also thought the founder of the site had an excellent idea about how to use LibraryThing. Forget about cataloging everything in your library--instead, use it to catalog everything you read. Voila, instant memory aid the next time you're stumped to recommend a title.

Mind you, I've been using goodreads in that very fashion since creating my account. Not that I've updated those virtual bookshelves any more frequently than I have those in LibraryThing. (Gwendolyn, when did you find the time to add, let alone read 617 books?!) I suppose it now comes down to choosing one tool over the other. sigh. That seems to be one of my main complaints about social networking tools--there's so much duplication. The other being, of course, that there's so little time to actually make use of all of these tools...

No comments:

Post a Comment