Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hollow Fields v.1

Okay, so I lied about not providing actual content. Being on vacation has given me an opportunity to catch up on my reading and I feel compelled to share an actual review.

Hollow Fields v. 1
ISBN 9781933164243
written & illustrated by Madeline Rosca
published by Seven Seas Entertainment

Our story thus far: our plucky almost 10 year-old 5th grade heroine, Lucy Snow, has arrived by mistake not at Saint Galhat's Academy for Young Ladies, but at Hollow Fields, a school for budding young Mad Scientists. Once enrolled (Lucy really should read contracts before signing her name to them) Lucy realizes that en suite bathroom or no, her new school is quite a bit more than she bargained for. Rather than devoting their time to reading, writing & arithmetic, Hollow Fields students spend their days learning the fine arts of grave robbing, killer robot design, live taxidermy, and cross-species transplantation. (Yes, the latter is exactly what it sounds like. Pigeons and cats should never be crossed, I'm just saying.) Academic competition is cut-throat as each week, the student with the lowest grades is removed (often by force) to the old windmill on the premises, never to be seen again... With only her faithful stuffed dinosaur and the questionable mentorship of the clockwork Dr. Bleak, Lucy is determined to escape Hollow Fields and rescue her classmates.

This title was the first winner of Japan's International Manga Award and caused quite a stir at its debut in 2007. I'd argue it's not manga ('cause I'm all about the nitpicky semantic arguments), but OEL (original English language) manga as its creator is Australian. Given that it was originally written in English, the narrative and dialogue flow quite a bit better than a lot of the translated Japanese titles available today. Despite it's decidedly non-Japanese origins, it certainly LOOKS like manga (b&W, big eyes, overly expressive facial characteristics, and excessively cute characters) and is sure to appeal to teen manga fans.

Why teens you say? The protagonist, after all, is quite young. And the title is most often compared to HARRY POTTER. I'd argue that given the sinister setting, the fairly sexualized female teachers and staff of Hollow Fields (I will never, ever understand manga's obsession with French maids. Never.), and the conservative nature of my community that this is a better fit for the teen collection than the children's area. Although there are great number of 5th graders out there who'd undoubtedly really enjoy it. To me, the tone and storyline are much more in keeping with Eoin Colfer's ARTEMIS FOWL series or Catherine Jinx's EVIL GENIUS than with HARRY POTTER. We have a truly evil collection of adults, a (thus far) mostly evil collection of fellow students (all of whose parents except Lucy's are currently employed in the Mad Scientist/world domination field), a gruesome curriculum, and a number of missing-presumed dead (or worse) students. Despite the cute characters, the story has a lot of dark undertones.

That being said, I couldn't put it down. I find the overly naive, klutzy and, dare I say it, somewhat stupid Lucy to be quite charming. (Hmm, it would appear I've just described a young Bella Swan.) Lucy's got a lot of courage, determination, and drive and I sincerely hope that in future volumes she brings Hollow Fields to its knees. Hollow Fields the place is also extremely intriguing--who knows what lurks within its clockwork walls? From the outside, it would appear to be an abandoned factory, but appearances as we're learning in this series, can be extremely deceiving.

Finally...MAD SCIENTISTS. A school for MAD SCIENTISTS. How can this fail to appeal?

16 comments:

  1. Ooh. Sounds like a fun read. And the teens could graduate into Girl Genius, right? Everyone loves Phil Foglio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reminding me! I've got to add Girl Genius to my delicio.us collection of webcomics. There can never be too much Phil Foglio in the world. :)

    Also, I've seen Hollow Fields described as steampunk. I'm thinking not--whilst there's certainly a lot of clockwork involved, it seems to be a contemporary non-Victorian setting. (Again with the nit-picky semantics.) Time and future volumes will tell...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ::pokes head in::

    'Sup?

    I understand there's a birthday in the house.

    Hmm...birthday cake.

    "'Many happy returns of the day,' called out Pooh."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haaaaaapppy happy birthday, from all of us to you.

    We wish it was our birthday, so we... actually, no.

    I'm quite happy it's not my birthday. Too close to Christmas, people are still in "pay off the credit card" mode. Summer birthdays get more gifts.

    So, um, sorry about it being your birthday and stuff. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! Now go have some cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where'd all these freaks come from wishing Cindy a Happy Birthday? Who'd thunk it?

    We're the Birthday Ninjas...straining all the info from the intertubes...finding unsuspecting celebrants! (I swear it's true.)

    Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear today is your birthday! I hope you have a most wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, Cindy! I heard through the Birthday Ninja Network that you have this year merited a windfall of Birthday Wishes.
    So, my cordial felicitations on this, the anniversary of your birth!

    BNN Agent #7302841190

    ReplyDelete
  9. A secret birthday elf said it was your birthday today so

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hear from reliable sources that it is your birthday. I hope it's a happy one! Best wishes and pleasant surprises, today and all year long!

    ReplyDelete
  11. *poofs in*

    Happy Birthday! :)

    *poofs out*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, I was passing by and smelled cake and punch. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is there still cake? Darn school schedule getting in the way of offering you great Birthday wishes...SO happy day after your birthday day.
    ( a little elf told me it was you birthday)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, thank you, thank you to all the birthday ninjas! I really appreciate all your well wishes! You were all very stealthy--in fact, I've been checking under the bed, in the closets, and behind doors all night. And I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get the throwing stars out of the wall after that pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey incident. Hopefully the landlord will be understanding.

    Shawn, despite the winter timing, I still managed to have a lovely birthday.

    Anne, I really must find out how one becomes an agent of the birthday ninjas. You've got official numbers--is there an i.d. card that gets you discounts at party supply places, too? At the very least there's a secret handshake, right?

    And Jim & Kimby, there's still cake. Cheesecake. Help yourselves! But I'm afraid we're all out of punch.

    Thank you again, one and all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Belated hit-and-run Birthday wishes. If everyone know about the birthday ninjas, we wouldn't be ninjas anymore! You have to be invited by a Birthday Elf. Do you know any Birthday Elves? I bet you do!

    ReplyDelete