Monday, January 26, 2009

It's THE GRAVEYARD BOOK for the win!


Consider me giddy.




Neil Gaiman, one of my mostest favoritest authors ever, has won the Newbery Award for THE GRAVEYARD BOOK. Read more about his reaction here.

THE GRAVEYARD BOOK is the delightfully spooky story of a young boy who fortuitously toddles into a graveyard one night only a few short steps ahead of a mysterious killer who's just murdered his family. Adopted by the graveyard denizens, the boy is renamed Nobody Owens (Bod for short), and raised up right by ghosts, a vampire, a werewolf, and a witch.

Past Newbery winners have been criticized for their lack of kid-appeal and their lack of age-appropriate content. (Me, I never could finish Park's A SINGLE SHARD or Kadhota's KIRA-KIRA, despite repeated attempts.) Despite the somewhat dark nature of Gaiman's latest, I think it's going to have a huge following, especially in those most particular of readers, tween boys. Me, I gave it to my 12-year-old nephew for Christmas.

Go check it out now. The audio, read by the author, is amazing, too.

2 comments:

  1. And who waited until it was obvious that you were up on your day off to tell you? Hmm?

    ::wanders off trying to whistle::

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I thought of you right away when I saw the announcement :)

    ReplyDelete