Thursday, February 12, 2009

Forecast: Cloudy

Annette inspired me to play with Tag Cloud Generator. It's neat. I especially like how you can change the color scheme. (I'm all about the pretty this evening.) I also like that while you can add your own tags, TCG's got software that will do the work for you and cull tags from your blog. Less typing...less thinking...there is no bad here. Especially seeing as these days I feel somewhat intimidated by tag assignment. I used to gleefully tag items with terms that were relevant to me until a friend pointed out that the whole point of social networking tools was that they were supposed to connect people and that my tagging scheme was a bit too ... opaque for the public at large. There were no connections being made whatsoever. Nobody (at least nobody who didn't know me extremely well) could follow my thought processes. My tags, for the most part, looked like a random word association exercise. I still do that a bit, mostly on my livejournal & in my personal bookmarks, but overall I'm trying to be more responsible toward my reading public (Hi Internets, how are you?) and use more common terms. You know what they say about power and responsibility, now don't you?

For the record, I'm vastly amused that "My blog...now with zombies added" gets the same prominence as "0 comments"...perhaps the one has something to do with the other?

But seriously, what's determining the larger size of certain terms over others? Their place in the lineup? (It's really not a cloud, at least not as displayed here. Note to self: must find one of the programs that generates a MOVING cloud. I'm pretty sure delicious has got one...) I wonder about the criteria and reasoning that determine this result:


Thing #6: More Flickr Fun!
motivating
flickr homework learning2.0 APIs mashups
Kansas City Public Library - Central Library
Really Simple? For the most part...yes!
6:05 PM
Flickr
5:52 PM
AndreaMosaic
AndreaMosaic
must...stop...playing...with...flickr!
Andy Warhol treatment
zombies
ICV2
my flickr photosream
Posts (Atom)
David Hockney
February
Mosaic Maker
0comments
Good Comics for Kids
1 comments
fds Flickr toys
Books? Cat? Life is good. Technology? Not so much....
calendar creator
animated me on my day off
Librarian Trading Cards
Jonathan Coulton
The Librarians Guide to Anime and Manga
inspiration
CD cover generator
January
Spell With Flickr
Anime News Network
Wilma
lolcat
View my complete profile
Feeds Im Following
0comments
My blog...now with zombies added!
no flying, no tights
fds Flickr Toys
FX! generator
Older Posts
The Comic Book Shop
My blog...now with zombies added!
Thing #6: More Flickr Fun!
9:35 PM
animated me on my day off
puzzle


And so, good night. I leave you all to contemplate the significance of "5:52 PM"

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cindy,

    Interactive comics are a great way to engage students! If you're interested in innovative Web 2.0 learning tools, I invite you to check out Pixton.com - an award-winning website where you create comics without having to draw.

    You can design every aspect of your character, and move it into any pose you want. All you have to do is click-and-drag to change or reposition any part of it - the creative and artistic possibilities are endless!

    Share with others, post to blog or remix comics to add your own twist. Read comics in over 40 languages, with our automatic translation by Google. Language filters, privacy settings, and flagging mechanisms help preserve a safe online environment. Sign-up is free!

    Try it out and let us know what you think.

    Best wishes,
    Clive
    Creator of Pixton - Interactive Web Comics

    ReplyDelete